Friday, October 16, 2015

INTERVENTION POINT 
Constant use of the mother language to develop the activities.
Journal 1
"...others prefered to ask and answer in their native language (Spanish)"
"one of the most used tools for their assignments is the translator"
Journal 2
"The ones who didn’t understand what I was saying asked to the person next to them and in this way all of them were involved in the activity".
Journal 3
"In this part my students also used the online dictionary and translator to build the story". 
"...the ones who worked in pairs negotiated meaning and answers between them which is a good strategy and others worked using the translator and online dictionaries"

I think it is a problem for me because during my classes I encourage my students to use their English. Nevertheless, some of them never try to do it because of different reasons. A good example can be the speaking activities; while I'm supervising their group, they try to use English and as soon as I turn around to go to other group, I listen to my students talking in Spanish. 

ACTION PLAN

I suggest two possible ways to solve this type of difficulty. First, I would give them more tools to use for their speaking activities. Maybe if they have enough input and speaking strategies, they might use them and start talking in the foreign language. Second, I would carry out a mini-action research project in which I could identify the roots of this issue and implement some strategies for my students to foster their speaking skill.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Marolly,

    I personally think this issue is one of the most remarkable factors evidenced in the classroom. Then students try to use their mother language to communicate almost all the time. Additionally, I liked the way you planned to tackle your intervention point. Action research in a mini-scale would be a really good strategy to overcome those situations.

    Nice entry!

    H.O.G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear mate,
    I see your awareness about your challenges. I really like your proposal of implementing research as a tool to tackle the problem; I would propose something similar. Research provides reliable data that may give you a kind of security to plan and apply corrective pedagogical actions.
    S.H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marolly,

    In my opinion, Your Intervention point is an issue all practitioners face during the development of our interventions. Students feel more confident if they support themselves using their mother tongue, and tend to make a habit of it. Proposing to carry out a mini-research project would be the best idea to improve your students language learning process.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Maro

    Well, this issue is not only reflected in your daily classes but also in almost every single classroom in Our country. I think your strategy is really good since trying to encourage our students to participate is the first thing we have to do. Second, the action research plan is perfect since it can provide you lights of the source of the issue. Thus, the outcomes would be the answer to the possible solution you can apply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Marolly

    I like the way you will address this issue regarding the difficulties students face when using the target language. As you said, the input provided during the classes is quite essential and meaningful taking into account that our monolingual context reduces the opportunities to be in permanent contact with the language.

    ReplyDelete